Saturday 13 January 2018

feathered friends


More dull grey weather putting the turd in Saturday. The coach said we should run round Inverleith Park. I agreed but was not excited about it. Work has been wall-to-wall of late and I have been doing precious little running. Of notable exception was Wed eve when Mr Stavert (due to a pf foot preferring less tarmac) suggested a session of headtorch off-roadiness round the Seat. It is nearer to home than the dreaded prom and more scenic by far, even in the dark. The laps of the hills in the company of Andrew, George and Steve flew past and I will prob do the same this week. All welcome. Why hadn't I thought of this before? 

William Wagtail in Iona St.
(Not quite a Nightingale in Berkeley Sq but still quite incongruous.)



Inverleith Pk had lots of ducks and gulls on the pond including Tufted Ducks which I hadn't noticed before. Were they always there? The light was crap and I had only taken the B camera as I feared rain so the pics are not very special. I was still feeling pretty uninspired until Mary suggested a cut through the Sundial Garden. There were a few points of interest including a hawk overhead, and a sundial with inscription. I had heard recently - can't remember where - it is traditional for sundials to carry a pessimistic motto along the lines of we're all going to die, and soon! There were also some plants almost worth a photo or 2.









Although I have posted some photos of graffiti of late I am really not a fan. In fact it brings out the right winger in me and we had a chat about what cruel and unusual punishments might be used to dissuade such spray paint vandals. I think we came to the conclusion that the perpetrator hung beside their work and left for a few days might do the trick. Whatever is in place currently is certainly not the solution.







too late for an apology

 a heron makes a run for it while I take a photo without zooming out sufficiently


Now they say crows are smart. This one was clearly outsmarting a rather dim little dog. And enjoying itself too. The dog chased (I'm guessing here) Mr. and Mrs. Crow off the patch of grass. Mrs. Crow flew away but Mr Crow landed nearby encouraging the dog to chase it further. It would take off and fly just a couple of yards easily outpacing the overbred lapdog but staying close enough to keep the dog running back and forth. I don't think the dog was bright enough to realise it was being had.


1 comment:

  1. Nice shots of the tuffties Pete and agree about grafiti.

    ReplyDelete